more info . more travel . more tourism

Hey there! Thanks for dropping by Theme Preview! Take a look around
and grab the RSS feed to stay updated. See you around!

Losing your passport can be a scary event, especially if you are travelling in a foreign country at the time when you lose it.  But even if you notice that you have lost it while you are not travelling, the thought that it is lost can be frustrating, as well as the thought of having to renew the passport.  If you lose your passport while travelling in a foreign country, you will need to contact the U.S. Embassy immediately for help in the matter.  However, if you have lost your passport while in your home country, you can follow these steps to report and renew your passport.

As soon as you realize your passport is lost you should report it immediately so the replacement process can begin.  To report your lost passport, call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.  Their business hours are Monday through Friday from 8am to 10pm.

Next, you will need to fill out the form titled DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport.  This can be found online at the Department of State website or at your local passport acceptance site.  Be sure to use black ink and print legibly on the form.  The form will ask you to report the circumstances surrounding the loss of your passport, and this information will be entered into the government’s lost/stolen passport system.  The more detailed information regarding the situation you give, the better.

After you have filled out this form, you will then need to complete Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport.  This is the exact same form you completed when you originally applied for your passport.  This form can be obtained in the same ways as the other form, either online or at the passport acceptance site.  Fill out the form entirely except for the signature and the date, as you will need to wait on the acceptance agent’s instructions.

Next, you will need to submit the forms in person at a passport acceptance site.  If you are in need of your passport in a rush or in less than two weeks, you will need to contact the National Passport Information Center in order to have them help you locate the nearest passport agency and schedule an appointment for you.  You will also need to pay the additional fees for expediting the process or overnight sending.  After submitting all the necessary paperwork you simply need to await the arrival of your new passport.

If you end up locating the missing passport you will need to submit it to the U.S. Department of State.  If you would like the passport to be returned to you after you submit it, simply include a note indicating that you would like the passport returned to you.  If not, the Department of State will destroy the passport and continue with the renewal process of the recently submitted application.

About the Author

Anne Johnson is a travel agent with experience helping travellers obtain and replace passports.  She suggests looking at the for more information regarding the renewal of a lost passport.


You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply